History of Aberdeen Airport
- World’s busiest heliport
- The airport was opened in July 1934
- Made commercial in 1977
- 3.5 million passengers a year (2015)
- 4 runways (1 aircraft and 3 helicopter runways)
- The airport is owned by AGS Airports Limited
- Terminal will soon be transformed by a £20 million investment
So how did it all begin?
It was initially used mainly for the flights to the Northern Isles. World War Two had a significant impact on the role of the airport, as it became primarily used as a military base.
In 1967 with the discovery of North Sea oil, the airport’s first oil-related helicopter movements took place, linking oil rigs to the main and. This was the beginning of a well established role for Aberdeen Airport, as by 1988 the airport was recognised as the world’s busiest helicopter base.
The history of Aberdeen Airport changed forever in the 70s. In 1975 the Civil Aviation Authority handed the airport over to the British Airports Authority, who started a £10-million investment and opened a new passenger terminal only 2 years later.
Aberdeen Airport plays a crucial part in Scotland’s oil industry, with a large number of fixed-wing and rotary aircraft using the airport as a hub for oil-related activity.
To this day, Aberdeen Airport is the world’s busiest heliport, with over 35,000 rotary wing movements every year.
In July 2009 the Aberdeen Airport celebrated its 75th birthday.
First Minister Nicola Sturgeon unveiled plans in February 2016 of the new £20 million investment that will transform Aberdeen’s single terminal.